Category: Community

Opinion: Coach Robb’s Training School was a Blast!

Coach Robb Beams and Brock Ninness

Our MX Team’s Brock Ninness shares his MotoE Australian Performance Camp experience…

Coach Robb’s training school was a blast! On the January school holidays, I took part in a three-day camp run by Coach Robb Beams, founder of the Complete Racing Solutions Performance Program.

We started our first day with talking about our frustrations on and off the bike, from pre-race preparation to working on how to last a full moto; as the three days went by we challenged ourselves to overcome these frustrations. The cool part about this school was that it wasn’t all about riding and going fast. During our riding breaks we sat down and discussed nutrition, hydration, race prep, ways to approach practice days, training at the gym, recovery, mindset, as well as the mental parts of racing bikes.

Coach Robb explained the importance of hydration and eating appropriate meals through race days and backed up his comments based on information from his past clients and his own experience as an accomplished triathlete.

Coach Robb at Wollongong Motorcycle Club

On-the-bike training consisted of starts, cornering and jumping (what I would say are the three most important parts of a race track). We learned about how essential it is to grip the bike with our lower body off the start and to keep your bike as straight as possible. Coach Robb went over the proper use of the front brake through corners, especially right-hand corners; you have to really rely on the front brake and this helps enormously when turning and needing to change direction quickly. Coach Robb also taught us scrubbing technique, so we get back to the ground as fast as possible to keep driving forward. He explained that as you progress and get faster, you should be scrubbing more and more so you can get back on the ground and keep charging forward.

Sitting there, receiving all this information at first seemed over-the-top and overwhelming, but knowing of Coach Robb’s success with professional riders such as Adam Cianciarulo and Ryan Dungey helped to keep me engaged with his conversation. Coach Robb has seen and done what it takes to be the best and explained to us riders exactly what he did with these professionals. This has really inspired me to keep going with what I’m doing and to keep pushing towards my dream to be the best.

Brock Ninness #47

Connect with Brock on Instagram

Brock participated in the MotoE Performance Camp at Wollongong Motorcycle Club. Find out more information and about up-and-coming Australian camps with Coach Robb HERE.

This is not paid content.

Santa’s Helpers Ride for The Salvos

City Coast Motorcycles and The Litas Wollongong have dressed jolly in their second Santa Ride for Charity. The social event held on December 8th kicked off the 2018 Santa Pub Crawl for Charity from North Wollongong Hotel. Participants raised $335 which will help The Salvos support families in need, this Christmas. Thanks to Noel at Wollongong Images and Josh Lynch Photography for taking shots out on the road.

« of 31 »

Wollongong’s Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride Triples!

DGR Wollongong

The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride – Wollongong has more than tripled its inaugural total. Fundraising closed on October 31 and the official figure raised is $65,215, compared to $20,568 in 2017.

On September 30, scores of dapper ladies and gents donned their finest attire aboard classic and vintage motorcycles. The annual event raises funds to support research into prostate cancer, and mental health and suicide prevention programs via the Movember Foundation.

Organiser Jane Sim with husband Tim. Image: Sylvia Liber for The Illawarra Mercury

Organiser Jane Sim from City Coast Motorcycles says the result is testament to the way the motorcycling community will band together for an important cause.

“In the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride, we ride with a purpose. We want to help stop men dying too young.

“We had 227 registrations. 648 rides were held around the world and Wollongong ranked in the top 20.

“Caps off to participant Phill Critcher who raised over $12,300 and placed 15th globally,” said Jane.

DGR Wollongong top fundraisers Ken Smith and Phill Critcher

The Wollongong ride also places the Illawarra on the map as a fantastic motorcycling destination.

“It’s not hard to find beautiful scenery, but I also try to come up with a new route every year so that the participants have a different experience each time.

“It delivers the ride to new spectators and spreads the message, further. We were honoured to feature in the global wrap-up video once again,” said Jane.

View 2018 Global Wrap-up Video

Distinguished Gentleman's Ride Wollongong
Image by Keogh’s Vision Photography

City Coast Motorcycles would like to thank the following individuals, community groups and businesses that assisted with planning, sponsorship and publicity:

Triumph Motorcycles
Zenith watches
Merlin Bike Gear
Coal Coast Emporium
Towradgi Beach Hotel
Illawarra Café Racers
Illawarra Classic Motorcycle Club
Wollongong City Council
Destination Wollongong
Wollongong Local Area Command
The Illawarra Mercury
96.5 Wave FM
Coal Coast Magazine
Keogh’s Vision Photography
Sarah’s Coffee Van

Aaron Huisman

View 2018 Photo Gallery

Mount Kembla Two-Stroke Cup a Winner!

Image by Josh Lynch – JL Photography

Pristine weather created the perfect scene for the Mount Kembla Two-Stroke Cup. Australia’s biggest and best two-banger race weekend has been growing rapidly since it began in 2016 and Event Organiser Shannon Ninness couldn’t be happier with the outcome:

“The pits were overflowing and there was more entertainment involving the spectators this year, like the Peg the Pirelli competition. Drag racing down the main straight was extremely well received.

“We had nearly 40 new riders experiencing Mt Kembla for the first time. We hit almost 250 entries coming from as far afield as Broome in WA.

“The trade alley was booming; this event gives good exposure and is a great platform for local businesses.

“We had live streaming for the first time which is really appealing to sponsors able to run ads on air plus have their track signage shown off. People who missed the event can still catch the action from the links of our Facebook page.

“The Mount Kembla Two-Stroke Cup is is now marked on the calendar for all riders and it continues to grow,” said Shannon.

Corey James – 2018 Winner

MX Team City Coast Motorcycles Corey James has been recrowned the Mount Kembla Two-Stroke Cup Winner, having also earned the title in 2016:

“The first lap’s always a bit hairy, but you know I’ve been at national level before and racing and so you sort of get used to going the first corner banging bars,” said Corey. Watch the full story on WIN News Illawarra HERE

Two-banger freak Justin “Bushy” Bush organised the freestyle motocross shows, juggled the mic and raced across the weekend:

“Props go out for all those involved, from the riders to the spectators and to all involved behind the scenes.

“A special mention to the FMX crew who put on some great entertainment and rode the nuts off their bikes. I can’t wait for next year,” said Bushy.

Organiser Shannon Ninness

Six months in the making, Shannon was excited to be given the honour in the main feature race:

“Waving the chequered flag was the icing on the cake after an amazing weekend of racing and fun in the pits.

“It actually wasn’t planned to have me do that job, but the flaggy who was allocated that Marshall spot came over to me during the last few minutes of the race and said ‘you should be doing this, you deserve it’.

“I was stoked and ran out to the finish line waiting for the winner. It was the best ending!” exclaimed Shannon.

Photo Gallery

« of 10 »

Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride – Wollongong Gallery 2018

Our heart-felt thanks to every rider, volunteer and sponsor for making our second Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride unforgettable. Together we have forged new friendships, raised awareness for men’s health and more than tripled last year’s fundraising for prostate cancer and male suicide prevention. And a fine way to do it, too.

Distinguished Gentleman's Ride - Wollongong hosted by City Coast Motorcycles