Category: Community

Mark Hawwa: DGR Social Connections Challenge a “World First”

The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride (DGR) have partnered with Movember for a new community program aimed at better connecting male motorcyclists. We chat with Mark Hawwa – the Founder of DGR, Throttle Roll and Ride Sunday – about this special initiative.

Mark Hawwa - Founder of the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride
Mark Hawwa – Founder of the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride

The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride (DGR) has been going since 2012. How did it start, and how have you seen it change over the years?

I had just come back from a trip to Japan and fell in love with their mix of a classic and custom motorcycling scene. When I got back, I was determined to get a bike that could bring that style back here to Australia, but none of my mates rode that kind of bike, so I started the Sydney Cafe Racers. As the custom style caught on, I started seeing people from around the world get into these groups and we connected over a joint love of custom motorcycles. Then the idea for DGR hit me when I saw a poster of Mad Men’s Don Draper sitting on a Matchless motorcycle in his beautifully tailored suit and thought it was a really interesting way to show a motorcyclist. At the time in Australia, we had a lot of issues with public perception of “bikies”, so it motivated me to spread the word throughout these groups and get everyone riding on the same day on their classic and vintage style bikes to dress dapper and ride together to break down that negative stereotype. That was 3,000 riders in 64 cities, and now we’re connecting 116,000 riders in 678 cities, so quite a lot has changed!

DGR Wollongong
DGR Wollongong. Image by Garry Gao

DGR has a special relationship with its global charity partner the Movember Foundation. How did the idea of the DGR Social Connections Challenge come about?

The relationship with Movember formed in 2016. We were working with various Prostate Cancer Foundations around the world to localise people’s donations and provide them with tax deductibility, but it was a tough job. We connected with Movember and everything just moved forward naturally. We have really similar goals in how to provide support for men and are actively funding a wide range of prostate cancer research and mental health programs to connect men in motorcycling.

The DGR Social Connections Challenge came about with us knowing how dedicated our community through DGR was in fundraising and in changing the way men communicate, so we thought it was finally time to help bring specific programs targeted at all riders to make a difference to them directly. This program isn’t just for people in DGR, but for every single male motorcyclist. We’ve never done anything like this before and Movember was really excited to build out a program that helps us better connect with riders as a part of their “going to where men are” approach to mental health. It really is a world-first and we’re honoured to be able to bring this to the global riding community.

What countries are involved?

Currently, we are accepting pilot programs in Australia, New Zealand, USA, UK, and Canada as these are the areas that we can directly offer funding and support. Once the pilot programs go through the Challenge, there is definitely an opportunity for them to scale further and operate in more areas.

Are the grants open to groups as well as individuals?

Absolutely anyone is welcome to submit an application. Groups or individuals. We’d also recommend you have a mate or two helping out as this is potentially a 15-month program if you get through to Phase 2, so having a bit of friendly support wouldn’t be a bad idea.

DGR Sydney
Image by James Macintyre

How will the Challenge be carried out?

The Challenge will be carried out in two key phases at this stage. It’ll be broken down as Phase 1.1, Phase 1.2, Phase 2, and Phase 3. A maximum of 25 grants valued at up to AUD $7,500 will be awarded internationally under Phase 1 of this opportunity.

Step 1 asks applicants to submit an Inspiration Statement. The applicants with the most creative and innovative ideas will be invited to pitch their idea. Successful pitches will be considered upon receipt of a signed, short-form Movember funding agreement which will lead them into Step 2.

In Step 2, development funds will be provided to assist in research, engage with the targeted group, design and create an initiative plan over a 9-week period that has the potential to be piloted. This is the core period where we can really give attention to people’s ideas and see if they can work.

From here, the best candidates will be invited into Phase 2, where we really get into the nitty-gritty of the program.  A maximum of ten pilot project grants valued at up to AUD $75,000 will be awarded internationally under Phase 2 to carry out implementation of pilot project plans over a 12-month period.  This is where programs will really scale up and take serious shape to test out the ideas and try to bring riders together in the process.

Continued investment may be forthcoming in Phase 3 for those projects that show the greatest promise for ‘scaling up’ at the end of the pilot period. This is an extended piloting phase, so the continuation is really dependant after Phase 2.

The great thing about this is event programs that are not invited into Phase 3 will be in a position to keep working at their ideas. The support that we’re looking to provide over the course of the next 15 months will give our applicants a huge level of insight into how they can scale and succeed their ideas.

DGR Wollongong 2017
Image by Keoghs Vision Photography

How will the grant applications be judged – what are you looking for?

We definitely have a few things we’re looking out for in this. If the name is any indicator to you, we’re looking for ideas that help connect riders socially, outside of the DGR community. This is a really wide-net to men in motorcycling, so it should be something that connects all men, and especially, those guys that may be a little harder to reach when it comes to connecting. With the focus on connections, we are also looking at programs that strength peer-to-peer support and can allow us to provide positive role models and mentors to all riders, and improve everyone’s knowledge about mental health and suicide prevention.

What’s involved in submitting an idea?

All you need to do to get this off the ground is register online HERE and submit an Inspiration Statement by July 6th. From there, you may get invited into Phase 1.1 to pitch your concept with a few other pieces. You can find a more detailed breakdown of this at www.gentlemansride.com/blog/dgr-scc

How soon will the funds be allocated?

Funding will be provided within the Phase stages by Movember, so successful applicants will be able to allocate those funds to areas that will help them succeed best. The great thing here is Movember will be with them all the way to help identify where these funds might be best placed.

Is this something DGR and Movember plan to do on an annual basis?

Who knows?! This is a first-time for us, so once we get through it, we’ll absolutely be reviewing and seeing just how successful the concept is. In some way, I’d like to though. It’s really important that we’re funding programs where our riders need it most, so this will absolutely be a test of that.

Distinguished Gentleman's Ride, Wollongong
Some very distinguished Wollongong gents. Image by Keoghs Vision Photography.

Given that the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride is a global event, what changes can we expect for 2020 with varying COVID-19 social restrictions worldwide?

Worldwide, we’re looking at a Solo Event for 2020, which will eliminate mass events and have riders taking to the streets on their own to raise funds for the event. It’s a tough one, because some are able to hit the road in groups or alone, and others may not be allowed to ride at all, so we need to find a way to engage everyone. To achieve this, riders around the world will be encouraged to dapper up and either hop on their bikes if they’re able to, or to snap a shot of themselves with their classic and vintage styled motorcycle and join us online. The focus for this year will be to connect riders from all around the world, despite their COVID-19 social distancing restrictions. We want riders to know that we may be socially distanced, but we can still be connected digitally.

We not only need to take people’s local lockdown restrictions into consideration, but we also needed to consider how riders and hosts have been financially affected in losing jobs and security, and how this may have impacted their lives. It’s a three-degrees of separation thing, some hosts either had COVID-19, or knew someone who did, and even have family members who lost their lives because of it. We wanted to be sensitive to those who spend countless hours volunteering to run their ride, who may not be able to get involved. The main thing we’d want people to be aware of here is that we know that some areas of the world might be opened up by the time DGR hits in 2020, but DGR isn’t only a local event – it’s a global movement – and when we have so many folks who are integral in running their rides who have been heavily impacted by this, we need to look out for them and each other.

You can pre-register now or find out more at www.gentlemansride.com.

DGR 2020
Connect with the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride on Facebook
Connect with Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride on Instagram
Connect with Movember Australia on Facebook
Connect with Movember on Instagram

Rare 1936 BMW R5: An Affleck Family Legacy

When Dwayne’s grandfather Ken Affleck passed away at age 95 in 2014 he also left behind his pride and joy – an extremely rare BMW R5. Just 2,632 were built between 1936 and 1937 and only a handful remain. Dwayne now has the honour of restoring his Papa’s legacy.

Rod (left) and Dwayne (right) are lovingly restoring a rare R5 family heirloom

Dwayne, you’re an avid motorcyclist. Is a love of riding in the genes?

I would say, “yes” but not just a love of riding – it’s a love of all things automotive, mechanical and engineering. My grandfather and my great grandfather even built their own plane, back in the day. Papa later worked for ESSO as the Head of Oil and Fuel Engineering which lead to him being involved with F1 drivers like Jim Clark and Jack Brabham. My father Rod is a retired mechanic and I’m an auto electrician. We’ve all had (or still have) involvement in two and four-wheeled motorsports. I have definitely discovered motorcycling more in the last five years which has taken me all over Australia and to the other side of the world by competing in and finishing Red Bull Romaniacs in 2019.

Ken Affleck with the Esso Team at Warick Farm
Pictured far left: Ken Affleck with the Esso Team at Warwick Farm

Your grandfather Ken has left you with a very special motorbike. What does his rare 1936 BMW R5 mean to you?

It means everything! It’s been so cared for and loved; in fact, it’s pretty much as it came off the floor with the exception of some minor marks and aging paint as it was used as a bike should be ridden and enjoyed. Being so entrenched in the family, it’s also significant that I’m working on it alongside my dad and my twelve-year-old son, Harry. It is very much a family affair.

Ken on his way to a VMCC Meeting

Do you know of any other R5’s in Australia?

Currently we’ve been unable to track down any other complete R5s in Australia, apart from one in pieces awaiting restoration. Shannons and Lloyds couldn’t either when approached for an evaluation of my grandfather’s bike. We know some R5s have been here in the past, but have then been sold to overseas buyers. There are those that haven’t seen the light of day so they have lost track of them and don’t know if they still exist as a whole bike. To my knowledge there seems to be only a few known of world-wide, one of which is owned by Lord March – Founder of the GoodwoodFestival of Speed. I believe BMW themselves have three in different states of condition (one restored, one in their bunker and one unrestored). There are a few in the US and a handful throughout Europe, but being a pre-World War 2 and only 2500-odd made, a lot would have been scrapped for materials during the War or lost to the fighting.

Ken Affleck's 1936 R5 looking
“To my knowledge there seems to be only a few known of world-wide,” says Dwayne of the rare BMW R5

Ken was a new father when he purchased the R5. Was it his first motorcycle? 

His first bike was second-hand 1925 BSA 250 round tank 2-speed which he later sold. He then got a DKW motorcycle. In 1948 he purchased the BMW R5 Sydney dealer called Arncliffe & Homebush Motorcycles. My grandfather knew the owners and learned the R5 was for sale there on behalf of an Air Force personnel. Then in the early 2000’s he bought an R27 BMW 250 single cylinder. This was because he wanted to attend the early VMCC Easter Bike Rally at Bathurst and couldn’t get some parts in time for the R5.

Ken’s first motorcycle was a BSA

Given its age, this R5 is in remarkable condition. Is it true that when Ken married your grandmother he wasn’t allowed to ride it?

Mama definitely wasn’t fond of the bikes, but when the kids came along and were growing up Papa decided to give up bike racing and general riding. He stored the R5 until her passing in the mid-1990s, then dusted the bike back off. He pieced a few bits back together and started riding again in his mid-70s all the way up until he was 93 years old. Papa was a very active member of the Vintage Motorcycle Club NSW during his later years.

Ken with daughter Annette (Dwayne's Aunt)
Ken with daughter Annette (Dwayne’s Aunt) aboard his R5

Back in the day, why do you think the R5 was such a gamechanger for BMW?

After riding it around the streets when we first picked it up I would have to say it’s an amazingly balanced bike with a great riding position. I’ve ridden a few other newer bikes (1960s models ha ha ha) and they ride nowhere near as well as the R5 does. The, design and engineering in the bike is astounding in my eyes for its era, too plus in its day it rivaled cars for top speed performance.

What type of work is involved to get your R5 project on the road?

Surprisingly not much has been needed. We aren’t there one-hundred percent just yet, but it’s just some perishables like fuel hoses, some carburettor gaskets and oil seals as we did have it running when we picked up the bike. We’ve kept it in storage for four years until we were in a position to give it proper attention it deserves. With the recent world situation and travel restrictions there’s been delays unfortunately. We expect it to be finished towards the end of May or early June.

Dwayne says working on the BMW R5 is “very much a family affair”

Many aspects of BMW’s new R18 have been based on the R5. What are your thoughts?

Personally, I absolutely love the new R18; the efforts that they’ve gone to, to give it the old-school character while working with modern regulations for emission, etcetera are huge. I can only imagine how hard it is to make a bike stand out today, especially in the cruiser market they (BMW Motorrad) are targeting. It’s a tough task with very well established competitors .

BMW R 18
The R5 is the main inspiration for BMW’s new R 18 cruiser (pictured)

Tell us about Ken’s scrambling days:

Papa was involved with the Dulwich Hill Motorcycle Club as they had a track situated on his large Kellyville property. He was a multiple trophy holder with the Two-Stroke Club of NSW in 1939. He and was involved with a trials club who held events at Castlereagh on the rocks and banks of the Nepean river; the idea was having to ride over the boulders without putting feet down to not lose points.

Ken was the 1939 Two-Stroke Club of NSW Champion

Later in life Papa loved to run with the VMCC who used to hold average speed rallies and navigational events; this included him having a minor off while riding down a dirt road and he couldn’t slow the bike quickly enough and ended up having a soft lay down of the bike in the grass just off the road. He was so mad because he finally got to pass this “young, slow annoying rider ” who was holding him up.  We found out this “young” rider was in their late 70s and my grandfather was in his early 90s at this stage (ha ha ha!) Another time he was enjoying his riding a little much and ran wide going under a viaduct out at his favourite event near Bathurst, scrapping the side of himself down the guard rail just enough to leave some bruisers – but not enough to knock him off the bike or even leave a mark on it.

Meter on BMW R5

Do you have any future plans for the R5 or R27?

The R5 will be kept in the family forever. It’s one of those special bikes that we’re the only custodian of as my grandfather will always be the owner of the bike. The R27 just needs a blinker/horn combination for registration and my parents will be looking to sell it soon after. It never had any real significance to my grandfather who only kept it as a backup for his beloved R5.

Special thanks to Dwayne and family
for sharing Ken Affleck’s R5 legacy.

Discover how the R5 was the inspiration for BMW’s new R18 cruiser in A Bavarian Soulstory – Episode 1.

WMCC Upgraded Track is “Next Level”

Tim and Bushy from City Coast Motorcycles and Jay Marmont are among a select handful of riders who sampled the upgraded motocross track at Wollongong Motorcycle Club, yesterday. Finishing touches are being added ahead of the venue reopening.

Jay Marmont testing the upgraded tracks at Wollongong Motorcycle Club
Jay Marmont tearing it up yesterday. Image by Josh Lynch Photography.

Wollongong Motorcycle Club President Andy Davey is pumped about the new design:

“The year got off to a great start before being hit with COVID-19. The Committee decided to change up the track to keep the riders interested. A big thanks to Cashy, Bushy, Jay Marmont and Matt Lindsay for all their help.

“I’m excited for the Club to come out the other side of the coronavirus with a fresh track. The good news is we will open on May 23rd with groups of ten with two-hour sessions. This will be done following the strict regulations,” said Andy.

Bushy testing the upgraded track at Wollongong Motorcycle Club
Bushy getting a taste of the fresh new track. Image by Josh Lynch Photography.

Machine operator and renowned track builder Mal Cash says many factors have been taken into consideration:

“It’s great to see Wollongong Motorcycle Club moving forward with the progression of the complex. We have built the main track with the spectators and riders in mind. And, we have also considered the history of this track and the unique layout of the terrain,” Mal said.

Tim trying experiencing the upgraded tracks at Wollongong Motorcycle Club.
Tim loving the bigger jumps. Image by Josh Lynch Photography.

Tim from City Coast Motorcycles was suitably impressed:

“It was great to break in the new track which is next level and has some fun challenges. I can’t wait until it’s finished,” he said.

Coach Robb Returns to City Coast Motorcycles

Back by popular demand, MotoE is returning to Australia. Meet Coach Robb – trainer to some of today’s top amateur and professional riders – in store *** at a revised date in March 2020 ***

Coach Robb Beams

As part of a nine-track Australian tour (including Wollongong Motorcycle Club 20-21 January), Coach Robb will make a special appearance at our Keira Street showroom at a revised date in our showroom in March.

Since 2005, MotoE’s Coach Robb has worked with and produced some of today’s top professionals including Ryan Dungey, Adam Cianciarulo, Jeremy Martin, Jordan Bailey, Alex Martin and Stilez Robertson.

This is an informal session where questions are welcome. Examples of topics for discussion include:

• Why high intensity training off the motorcycle is not translating to faster lap times.
  • What you should (or shouldn’t) eat on race day.
  • How to maximize your endurance training off the bike.
  • The importance of a proper warm up before racing.
  • Simple things you can do to improve race day confidence.

LUCKY DOOR PRIZES
1 x FREE Voucher to MotoE’s Wollongong Riding & Performance Camp
6 X FREE Day’s Riding Vouchers at the Mount Kembla Scramble Circuit thanks to Wollongong Motorcycle Club

ENTRY via GOLD COIN DONATION in support of Illawarra Convoy.

This event will be lightly catered. PLEASE REGISTER YOUR RSVP AT THE LINK BELOW to learn from the best in the business!

Meet the Coach

Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride – Wollongong Gallery

City Coast Motorcycles proudly presented Wollongong’s third Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride. This worldwide phenomenon is for vintage and classic styled motorcycles and supports The Movember Foundation.

Our local ride feature’s Australia’s top fundraisers and in  2019 it has already raised $93,000 for men’s health… and counting! Fundraising continues throughout October. If you wish to sponsor our ride or a participant please click HERE.

Below are some images we captured on the day – click on the thumbnail to open the gallery. We are happy for you to share them on social media; please give City Coast Motorcycles a nod if you do so.

Professional photographs are available for sale from Keogh’s Vision Photography and The Illawarra Mercury.

DGR 2019 hosted by City Coast Motorcycles

Wollongong’s DGR “Keeps Getting Better and Better”

On Sunday September 29, The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride Wollongong is tipped for another bumper year fundraising for charity partner, The Movember Foundation. In 2018 – just its second year – the Ride more than tripled its inaugural total to raise $65,215. In 2019, it is set to skyrocket further.

Distinguished Gentleman' Ride Wollongong
Image by Jesse Saunders

The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride was founded in 2012 by Mark Hawwa in Sydney and has since become a worldwide phenomenon. It was introduced to Wollongong by Jane and the team at City Coast Motorcycles in 2017.

Dealer Principal Timothy Sim says it is special to watch how the The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride brings vintage and classic motorcyclists together to help people in need. Enthusiasm for the Illawarra event has grown rapidly; in 2018 Wollongong ranked 20th in the world out of 648 rides.

“Every year it just keeps getting better and better,” Timothy said.

Jane and Timothy Sim
Distinguished Gentlemen’s Ride Organisers Jane and Timothy Sim

Organiser Jane Sim describes The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride as emotional on many levels:

“On the surface it is a colourful spectacle with people dressed in their finery and showing off their beautiful bikes. On the next level there is the comradery, with friendships formed and new memories made. But at the heart of it all we’re riding for a very serious reason: Over one million men are losing their lives annually to suicide and prostate cancer. This touches us all. We are riding for awareness of these causes and to help Movember to help more men.”

The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride - Wollongong
Image by Keogh’s Vision Photography

Movember Community Ambassador Mark Kelly struggled with mental health in his early twenties. He didn’t have any strategies in place to handle his depression. After seeking help from his GP and getting a mental health plan, he hasn’t looked back.

“Knowing that there were others out there like me who did not have the tools to deal with mental health issues, I found Movember as a fun way to help spread awareness and use my story as a motivator for others to seek help,” Mark said.

“The DGR is an excellent event as it helps to keep the message of Movember going year-round. It is an event that promotes friendship, enjoyment and catches the eye of the public in a unique way,” he said.

Mark Kelly Movember
Movember Community Ambassador Mark Kelly

Jane acknowledges the Wollongong event would not be possible without the support of local sponsors and clubs.

“We are so fortunate to have the region’s businesses backing our event; Clutch Moto, Coal Coast Emporium and Towradgi Beach Hotel have all supplied prizes to give further incentive to participants. Official photographers, Keogh’s Vision Photography donates 50% of their revenue from images purchased on the day and Sarah’s Coffee Van also shares a portion of her takings. We are also indebted to the Illawarra Classic Motorcycle Club who contribute a sizeable donation every year.

Illawarra Classic Motorcycle Club
The Illawarra Classic Motorcycle Club delivers their support to The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride – Wollongong

Preparation for The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride begins months in advance, working with Wollongong City Council and the Wollongong Local Area Command. A lot of thought goes in to planning a route suitable for vintage motorcycles and sidecars requiring slower roads.

“There is a lot to take into consideration when organising the Ride. Not-to-forget our region’s divine scenery – we really are spoiled in the Illawarra! I think you would be hard-pressed to find anything like it anywhere else in the world,” Jane said.

Bikers 4 Heroes Help Families Battling Illness

City Coast Motorcycles proudly supports Wollongong’s Bikers 4 Heroes. Stu Butler AKA Captain America tells how his league of superhero motorcyclists are helping our locals who need it most….

Bikers 4 Heroes
What motivated you to form the group, Bikers 4 Heroes? 

It came about for a few simple reasons; to put smile on kid’s faces that are doing it tough, to provide financial assistance to families who quite often struggle due to financial restraints and to live by our motto, ‘Life isn’t always fair so let’s make it fun’.

We formed because life isn’t fair and unfortunately some children have to battle villains, daily. These villains don’t have to be in the form of what we know through comics but in illness. We join the children and their families in this battle.

When did you begin?

Bikers 4 Heroes formed following the 2018 Illawarra Convoy in November. Initially, we started with five or six superheroes and held our first public event on Australia Day 2019. We walked in our costumes from Shellharbour all the way to Wollongong Harbour in 36 degree temperature!

Stu Butler of Bikers 4 Heroes. Image by Oh Snap Photography

Who do you support with your fundraising?

We have had the pleasure of helping a few families along our journey by holding events just for them and also raising funds for Illawarra Convoy in our bid for lead bike in 2019. Through this experience we don’t just help these families one-off. These children and their families and now our family.

Are you a registered charity?

We are not a charity; we are a group who raise funds for individual families who are in need. We pride ourselves in ensuring 100% of funds raised go to the families that we help. We also raise funds through the Illawarra Community Foundation for the Illawarra Convoy.

Awesome! What have you got planned for Illawarra Convoy?

Bikers 4 Heroes are raising funds for lead bike in the 2019 Illawarra Convoy. This entails placing a ‘bid’ prior to Convoy to ride at the ‘head of the pack’ of over 1000 motorcycle enthusiasts. The events that we hold throughout the year (when we aren’t helping individual families) are for our lead bike bid.

Bikers 4 Heroes
Image by Oh Snap Photography

What superhero characters do you have on the team?

We currently have 15 superheroes and two other committee members who all play an integral part in this super team. 

Deadpool – Ryan Reynolds
Spider-Man – Daniel Barnes
Captain America – Stu Butler
The Hulk – Jim Parkinson
Iron Man – Joshua Hole
Batman – Matt Dubois
Antman – Adam Deaves
Thor – Dave Drain
The Flash – Durant Rugg
Batgirl – Emma Kearns
Robin – Jenna Kalsow
Green Lantern – John Butterly
Wolverine – Matt Kalsow
Black Panther – Mitch Butler
Supergirl – Teagan Paterson

Two of our hardest workers – Kayla Butler & Shay Parkinson – form part of the Bikers 4 Heroes committee.

What types of events do you present?

We have held so many events and are forever coming up with new and better events. Some of the events we’ve had and are planning include superhero walks, trivia nights, family fun days, motorcycle rides, car cruises, a show & shine and the Masquerade Ball.

We also have an exciting venture underway with an amazing not-for-profit group called, Supertee who make medical-grade garments for little superheroes doing it tough.

Bikers 4 Heroes
What has been your most memorable moment so far?

It’s difficult to pinpoint one most memorable moment. All events have been fantastic, but I think the most incredible thing is being able to witness the children and their families forgetting about the tough times for even a few moments. It’s absolutely amazing and warming to our hearts.

How much money have you already raised for the Illawarra?

You’ll have to wait until we do our live bid on November the 13th on i98FM with Marty, Christie and Crammy. For individual families we have managed to help them with medical bills and assistance.

How can people be involved with your causes?

Follow us on Facebook and come along to our events. People can also donate to Bikers 4 Heroes through our Illawarra Convoy page. We hold events that cater for children and adults.

What does it take to become a member of your team?

People can direct message our Facebook page and submit an expression of interest.

Connect with Bikers 4 Heroes on Facebook
Connect with Bikers 4 Heroes on Instagram

Australian Motorcycle Festival Promises Non-Stop Entertainment

Wollongong is hosting the highly anticipated and action-packed Australian Motorcycle Festival, thanks to Troy Bayliss Events. Here’s what you need to know…

Australian Motorcycle Festival

Troy, the Australian Motorcycle Festival has everything in place to become an internationally renowned event. Why have you chosen Wollongong as the location?

Over the recent years manufacturers have provided positive feedback in the direction they would like to display their products; this new layout allows them to do this. We’ve also listened to patrons who critique shows for being in venues that often cost more to park or eat than the entry into the show. We believe the Australian Motorcycle Festival will tick all the boxes.

How does the Australian Motorcycle Festival differ from other motorcycling events, like the Sydney Motorcycle Show? 

Certainly, the atmosphere will be lifestyle-oriented – just like motorcycles are – with a huge range of new motorcycles, scooters, ATV’s, UTV’s E-bikes and jet skis, plus related products and services. There’ll be over 60 motorcycles available for licensed riders to test over the weekend. We actually know of people travelling from WA and Tasmania to the show to spend the weekend testing a full range of bikes to find what’s best for them. We’ll continue with live entertainment and that also includes activities such as Robbie Maddison riding the water bike. Jet ski test rides will also be available along with children’s petrol and electric bikes.

Sounds fantastic! Will this be an annual event?

Possibly, we believe it will be a big step forward to showcase the motorcycle industry to enthusiasts and the wider community. Wollongong Council and Destination Wollongong have been very supportive of the Expo and the Supercross taking place at WIN Stadium on the Saturday evening.

Robbie Maddison at the Australian Motorcycle Festival

Where in Wollongong will it be held?

Lang Park is the event hub with all the trade display and activations, while Marine Drive will host the test ride parking and Action arena featuring the stunt riders including the Hot Wheels team. Belmore Basin will also be used for the test ride departure and return location, plus as mentioned, some of Maddo’s stunts. The Supercross on the Saturday evening is next door within WIN Stadium.

What are the main events?

The features of the show are always the manufacturer bike displays. Visitors feel relaxed when able to walk from one display to the next and able to ask multiple staff questions of what bike may best suit their needs. The products and services on display are often either on a shelf in a shop or on a website, so to be able to touch, feel, try or have direct face-to-face contact with such services as travel companies is what really makes enthusiasts and future enthusiasts enjoy the atmosphere. The list is long for live entertainment – some we haven’t released just yet, but as mentioned the test rides, stunt shows, Supercross and multiple group rides going to and from the precinct will all make for a great weekend in Wollongong.

Supercross

Time to namedrop – what big names are coming to town?

To start with, every rider chasing the Supercross Championship will be onsite; Factory teams like Honda and Yamaha will be set up within the show. Visitors can meet riders such as Justin Brayton or the list of other Americans and Australians participating in the Supercross. There’s Craig Dack, Stephan Gall and this list goes on of past champions who will be around and always willing to meet fans. I have a few guests we will announce closer to the event but I’m sure everyone will enjoy it.

What are the best family attractions on the program? 

It’s the non-stop entertainment, bike displays, wheelie machines, Hot Wheels team, Stunt bikes, Maddo riding on water plus multiple activations such as the Harley Davidson Jumpstart where adults who don’t have licences can ride a motorcycle as you would on the road, changing gears and learning how to simply ride a bike all on the safety of a display. The Supercross stars will be happy to meet the kids, some Factory teams will do Factory race truck walk throughs. On Saturday night, Supercross, Freestyle Motocross, Speed & Style and the Hot Wheels off-road show will all take place between 6pm-9pm and that’s all family-friendly. Children can test ride Pee Wee’s or electric bikes all within the show, too. The Expo is designed for all ages.

Hot Wheels Street Bike Show

Do you expect any events to sell out?

Trade displays are almost sold out now. We have been overwhelmed with the response; there are a handful of smaller sites only available.

Tell us about the displays; what brands can people expect to see?

It’s a long list but I’ll give you a few examples: Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Harley-Davidson, BMW, MV Augusta, Ural, Sherco, SWM, Royal Enfield, Benelli, Super Soco, Ducati plus many more. Products like Innotesco, Dunlop, Fly Racing, EarMold, Moto Smart, Quad Lock, Rocky Creek Designs, MotorEx, Shannons Insurance, motorcycle finance companies, Rev It, Clutch Moto, Hear Link, plus many more distributors and products. Tour companies such as Nevermind Adventures, Compass Expeditions, World on Wheels and more. Sorry for all the others I haven’t mentioned… it’s a big list. A full list of exhibitors plus schedules will be released on MotoExpo.com.au one month prior to the event. It is such a massive show!

Moto Expo

Can riders get involved?

Absolutely. Test rides will be popular and never done to this extent before. Group rides are being organised from Sydney, Canberra and the South Coast on Saturday and Sunday. Group rides will also leave and return to the precinct each day in fact I’m actually about to announce a ride that I’ll lead. Adventure tours will also leave and return from the precinct. Plus, patrons are welcome on all the activations over the weekend.

What local Wollongong businesses have you got on board?

Local companies have also confirmed participation with brands such as Clutch Moto and others. We’ve also secured the best food trucks, such as locals Two Smoking Barrels to ensure the food available onsite is quality. We’re also working in with venues outside the precinct such as the Illawarra Brewery who will host multiple functions along with many cafes.

Limited tickets are available for Round 3 of the Australian Supercross Championship. What kind of passes do people need to purchase for the Australian Motorcycle Festival? 

The Australian Motorcycle Festival is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday between 10am – 4pm. We’ve kept entry price at a minimum: $5 for kids (5-15 years) $10 for Seniors $15 for Adults – all single day passes. VIP and Premium Supercross Tickets also allow free entry into the festival, or if you want to go to the Supercross tickets start from $30.

Troy Bayliss Events

Do you have any special transport arrangements in place for the crowds?

We’re running buses free of charge from Wollongong to North Wollongong Train Stations with multiple pickup points along the way and drop-off just 50 metres from the event precinct. Three dedicated motorcycle parks will be available on Saturday and Sunday: one on Marine Drive and two on Flagstaff Hill. All details will be placed on the website one month prior to the event.

What a sensational program. This will surely be Australia’s greatest motorcycle spectacular to date!

Thanks for your time, City Coast Motorcycles. The team and myself are extremely proud to bring such a premium motorcycle event to Wollongong; the Festival will generate millions of dollars into the local economy and we can’t wait to welcome visitors from all over Australia to enjoy a full weekend in the Illawarra.

Connect with Australian Motorcycle Festival on Facebook
Connect with Australian Motorcycle Festival on Instagram

All images supplied and reproduced with permission of Troy Bayliss Events.

Meet the Coach at City Coast Motorcycles

MotoE is returning to Wollongong in July. Don’t miss out on your chance to meet Coach Robb – trainer to some of today’s top amateur and professional riders!

Meet Coach Robb at City Coast Motorcycles

Join Coach Robb for this special “Meet the Coach” evening hosted by City Coast Motorcycles before MotoE’s Level 1 Riding & Performance camps kick off on July 8 at Wollongong Motorcycle Club’s Mount Kembla track.

Since 2005, MotoE’s Coach Robb has worked with and produced some of today’s top professionals including Ryan Dungey, Adam Cianciarulo, Jeremy Martin, Jordan Bailey, Alex Martin and Stilez Robertson. Don’t miss out on your opportunity to learn from the best!

Topics discussed include:

• Why high intensity training off the motorcycle is not translating to faster lap times.
  • What you should (or shouldn’t) eat on race day.
  • How to maximize your endurance training off the bike.
  • The importance of a proper warm up before racing.
  • Simple things you can do to improve race day confidence.

LUCKY DOOR PRIZES

2 x Free Ride Day passes at the Mount Kembla Scramble Circuit kindly donated by Wollongong Motorcycle Club

ENTRY via GOLD COIN DONATION

In support of Wollongong Motorcycle Club long time member and Wollongong Images photographer Noel Downey who is undergoing intensive cancer treatment and care.

This event will be lightly catered. Please assist us with numbers by indicating your attendance below:

Girl Torque.cc: Empowering Women Who Ride

We love #womenwhoride and have joined forces with Fabienne Phillips, Founder of Girl Torque.cc to bring her unique services to the Illawarra. Fabienne offers personalised motorbike training, advice and support for women.

Girl Torque cc

When did you start motorcycling?

I was fortunate enough to have a city and country upbringing. My first ride was on a 49.9cc peddle to start, French mobylettle that my mother inherited from my grandmother. I was around 12 years old, I distinctly remember riding it up and down our long gravel driveway and loving it. Opportunities came about now and then to paddock-bash on friend’s properties with bigger motorcycles. The greatest advantage being off road; it allowed me to focus on how to operate the bike and challenge myself as I got more confident. I still have the Mobylette to this day! In all its simplicity (now lovingly restored) it is a reminder of my childhood and family history.

What drives your passion for riding?

Throughout my bike riding journey, I’ve experienced many incredible places. Riding has opened up my world. You are always learning when you are riding a motorcycle and I have a passion to continue to learn and hone my skills. Training my students and assisting them in managing their risks and ultimately avoiding an accident gives me great satisfaction. There are many reasons I continue my passion, I love the empowerment, freedom, individualism and adrenalin that controlling a machine gifts. Most of all, I enjoy being in the moment.

How did Girl Torque.cc begin?

Interestingly, it was my own journey that prompted the founding of Girl Torque.cc. As a woman I felt I just wasn’t catered for. I wanted to be submersed in a male dominated industry, I felt discouraged and a little uncomfortable at times throughout the process. I started to identify a bit of a pattern and I thought to myself, how many other women are experiencing the same thing? After I got my L’s my partner stepped in to teach me. He taught me heaps and I’m so grateful but communicating was not easy at times and boy oh boy we had some arguments! From that day, I was on a mission to create a business that I could transform the way female motorbike riders feel and act on the road through access to individually tailored rider training. I want to fuel women’s motorbike wanderlust, help them discover the perfect bike, equip them with the right gear and help find their unique on-road look. Although the business is small, Girl Torque.cc is now Australia’s first integrated motorcycle training organisation, singularly focused on women who ride.

Fabienne Phillips Girl Torque cc

How do you help learner riders?

For women who want to pursue motorcycling, they are required to complete a series of training courses and tests at selected RMS endorsed companies prior to training with Girl Torque.cc. When it comes to embarking on training out on public roads, I understand that the level of thrill, excitement and fear will be different from others. There is a lot to cover in the 2-day learners’ course with little time spent on the open road; the thought of tackling busy streets alone, paired with lack of confidence can be quite overwhelming for some taking the next step. A few of my clients literally have their new bike sitting in their garage and are too afraid to venture out on the road.

I want to completely understand each student’s journey. After filling out the contact form on my website, the first thing I like to do is have a chat on the phone, to hear about their own experiences, fears and challenges. These can all be different and are extremely important in moving forward. This is followed by a short questionnaire.

Breaking down the tasks in an environment that they feel safe and progressing at their pace is key to progression. The great thing about my business is that I come to my students, hence decreasing their level of anxiety from the very beginning. I will take them step-by-step and show the best way to navigate bike operation and safely navigating the roads – even the initial challenges of getting their bike out of the garage or driveway. In cases where my students don’t have a bike, I can also help sourcing their new found joy!

Where do you offer your services?

I am mainly teaching in the Sydney metro area. I have taught students as far north as Newcastle and in the Illawarra region. In these cases, outside the Sydney metro area I have to apply travel time. The best alternative is a group session, so the additional travel costs are reduced amongst the group.

Girls Torque.cc LAMS Service

Is Girl Torque.cc exclusively for women?

When you are on a mission to make motorcycle riders safe for everyone, the word “exclusivity” means to me I am excluding men. The business does specialise for women, however, if a man wanted me to teach him how to ride, assist in understanding roadcraft and manage the risks on the open road, I couldn’t say, “no” – I’d be more than happy to help out!

Does Girl Torque.cc cater for individuals or are there group lessons?

Yes, to both! One-on-one privates – my most popular option – provides effective results for someone who wants undivided attention. I am based in Sydney, so group lessons outside the Sydney metro area with students that are around the same skill level are the most effective.

Do you offer any services for people who already have their motorcycle licence?

Absolutely! I’ve started to organise monthly morning group rides where training is included for my L’s and P riders. Our route is carefully planned so everyone can experience road riding without fear of difficult bends, cambers and heavy traffic. I want the girls to enjoy the experience. It really helps when they know they are riding with riders sharing similar skill level and fears. It’s a fantastic team building experience even though we are all individuals with the same goal. Rides are always to an interesting breakfast spot where we share our stories and build a community of “Girltorquers”.

I also profile women and match them to the most suitable bikes, based on their experience, shape, size and purpose and needs. Another important aspect to riding is the right equipment and I can source and assist in the purchase of all things like apparel, gear, luggage and accessories for women riders.

Girl Torque Personal Shopping

Tell us about the Girl Torque.cc App:

Yes, it’s very exciting! We have developed an App that is the quintessential must-have for all your bike riding needs. By joining up, women enjoy a range of benefits; from 20% off your first lesson to discounted apparel, gear, and equipment from selected retailers and suppliers to discounts at businesses like City Coast Motorcycles. Plus there are savings at selected cafes, bars and restaurants. Benefits are growing.

It also includes privileged features to explore and provide you comfort on the road such as a unique emergency button. No need to Google, the App will get you straight to the motorbike carrier and the transport you need.

Our App is free to download. Just set up and log in! The Membership fee is $9.95 per/month. Alternatively, sign up for 2 months and get 2 months free (this then reverts to monthly subscription). The App will enable you to redeem from the range of exclusive offers as a Girl Torque.cc member.

Download the Girl Torque.cc App

Connect with Girl Torque.cc on Facebook
Connect with Girl Torque.cc on Instagram